Sunday, June 14, 2009

Knowledge is a Dangerous Thing

Anna is getting proficient at the computer. That's right, she's just turned four and in China that means she is about four years behind with her technology skills, so we thought what the hey. Actually, 'we' (me) thought Mummy needs five minutes peace and quiet because she has all the thankyou notes of the world to write and is beginning to forget if the talking Sleeping Beauty was from Braden, Jayden or Hayden.

We chose Noggin.com, heavily supervised. It has lovely little games that teach basic mouse skills like planting seeds in a virtual garden and HRH perches her tiny little bottom on our computer chair and concentrates with heart-warming intensity. I say heavily supervised, but you and I live in the real world right? At first we sit there through all the games. The mind-numbing 'build your own flower' the high-pitched Dora voice penetrating your skull until after a while you can't take the electronic accolades of 'good job!' or 'you're doing great' or 'what a team' any more and you skulk off for a cup of tea.

That's where it gets a little dodgy.

She is not exactly slow on the uptake, so pretty soon she learned to type in www.noggin.com and has even learned to enter the word in google. I am happy for her to be plugging away at age-appropriate preschooler computer games; saving baby eagles, planting gardens and building robots. I am even happy that her burgeoning knowledge might help me in the near future, I can see myself asking her whether I should upgrade to Leopard and what's the best way to compact my AVI files, BUT, check out this conversation and see why I'm going to be putting some protection software on our computer interfrastically:

Anna: I love noggin.com. You would probably love www.flowers.com and Dada would probably love www.lakers.com

Me: That's right, well done! (foolish! didn't see this one coming!)

Anna: I think Lucy would probably like www.boobs.com

Me: Bye-bye computer.


I'm pretty sure her father already has it bookmarked....

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your child is a genius. And we didn't forget the birthday, we're just saving on postage, hoping that we'll get to see you all when you're over here. S & G xx

Almost American said...

LOL! That's why my two still don't get to use the Internet unless I'm right there and paying attention. Fortunately we have a couple of OS9 machines that run some fun software that I picked up for cheap because it was so 'old'. They're happy with that for now.

Life As I Know It said...

ha ha! yeah, it is scary what they can click on...especially any pop up ads.
Pretty soon I think we'll have to look into putting in parental locks on the computer!

seadragon said...

Oh my goodness, that's so funny.

Kristin said...

She is a genius--that is hilarious.

Expat mum said...

Yes, I'll echo the scary stuff. We've had more bans" in this house this past year than I care to dwell on. Sheesh - and they still try it.

Summerlandgirl said...

because of Webkinz Brandon knows his way around the computer...He has taken over my laptop, which is brand new! He always asks to borrow my lil laptop for Webkinz. Anna will be a computer whiz in no time!

Hyphen Mama said...

LOL! You are so funny!

I thought I was a forward thinking mom when I showed Wynnie how to look up pictures of things on google images. It taught her how to spell AND entertained her for 10 minutes. UNTIL... she typed in "butterfly" and HOLY CRAP... did you know how many p0rn pics have the word butterfly associated with them? ACK! So we had to settle back into that crappy Preschool Computer Games cd I bought eons ago.

Linda S said...

Gotta love the things they say!

Free recommendations, worth what they cost, from a mom of 4 girls, ages 7 to 3 months:

www.starfall.com
www.webkinz.com
www.everythinggirl.com
www.pbskids.org