Wednesday, March 04, 2009

Keep Calm and Carry On
























About a year ago I found this poster online and for obvious reasons, it resonated. Not only were we going through some hard times, but it was so quintessentially British, such a clipped, stiff upper lip war-time message that I had to have it. What a perfect inspirational mantra to have in my office while wrangling our finances I thought. Having found the poster through an artsy Swedish blog, I was quite pleased with myself, thinking I'd found something a little bit different.

Apparently I couldn't be more wrong. Oh yes AliBlahBlah, you are so edgy, so hip and urban. Like a pair of Marks and Spencers pants.

Imagine my disappointment, when visiting the Victoria and Albert museum last year to find an entire section of the gift shop devoted to this poster. Oh well, I thought, at least it would still be unusual in the States.

* Funny but true aside- one of the docs I work for asked me in my first year at the practice if I could contact the V and A for him. The Victoria and Albert Museum I asked thinking, crikey, that's a bit odd, but no, the VNA, Visiting Nurses Association. Much more useful for a neurologist but not half so interesting. *

Muppet.

While my Mum and Dad were staying in January, my Dad noticed an article on the BBC website about this very poster, 'the greatest motivational poster ever'. I had inadvertantly bought the 21st century version of the 'hang in there baby' cat poster.

It's a great story though. The poster was found in a dusty book shop in Alnwick and when reprinted and featured in a catalog 'all hell broke loose'. And I don't care if it's common as muck, it means a lot to me, and I may, possibly, be the first person to own it on our street (it's a small street) so that's cutting-edge enough for me.

Given the recent economic climate though, I think this version may be more appropriate:

12 comments:

Ali said...

Never fear, I fail at the cutting edge thing too. If it makes you feel better, I hadn't seen it before.

Unknown said...

It's new to me! But I super duper love the 2nd one!

Anonymous said...

This is a polite version of Churchill's wartime mantra - KBO - Keep Buggering On.

MikeH said...

I saw the website, I read the story, I bought 2; both my wife and I need one in each of our offices.

Expat mum said...

There was a great one here about three weeks ago, with Obama looking decisive, in control and a teeny bit mean. It says:
"Chill the f*** out. I got it."
Just hope he does though.

Jane said...

Find me at wildethymeknitter.blogspot.com

Back in San Jose said...

Love that poster. Another poster idea comes from King Solomon and is one of my favorite sayings:
" This Too Shall Pass" See
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/This_Too_Shall_Pass_%28Phrase%29

AliBlahBlah said...

Karen - it's so funny you write that as 'this too shall pass' is a bit of a personal mantra for me, even getting me through some pretty major contractions when having Anna!!

Kitten99 said...

Your (??) second version is bloody brilliant!!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
You re, I guess , probably very interested to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no initial capital needed You may commense to receive yields with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
The company represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with affiliates everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your chance That`s what you wish in the long run!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. It`s all about how to choose a proper partner utilizes your savings in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to start , just click this link http://sidasilic.the-best-free-web-hosting.com/okejaly.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to get rid of nastiness of the life

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!

Anonymous said...

Good day, sun shines!
There have were times of hardship when I felt unhappy missing knowledge about opportunities of getting high yields on investments. I was a dump and downright pessimistic person.
I have never imagined that there weren't any need in large initial investment.
Nowadays, I feel good, I started take up real money.
It's all about how to select a correct partner who uses your money in a right way - that is incorporate it in real business, parts and divides the income with me.

You can get interested, if there are such firms? I have to tell the truth, YES, there are. Please get to know about one of them:
http://theblogmoney.com