Wednesday, May 30, 2012

Memorial Day vs Veterans Day

Memorial Day sunset            
Anna asked me this weekend what the difference between Memorial Day and Veterans Day was. Good question I thought. A three day weekend? Barbecues? The United States is hardly dripping with public holidays, so it is a little peculiar that of the ten holidays or less observed by the working drone American, two are so similar.

Apparently Memorial Day is to observe those who died in service to their country, and Veterans Day honours all military personnel, alive or dead, active or well, passive? de-active? They both seem like good reasons for some time off and a bit of reflection if you ask me, so I hope the current administration doesn't see fit to bundle them like they did with Washington's and Lincoln's birthdays.

Lucy reflecting on our fallen heroes and Pirates Booty.
Mostly Pirates Booty.
Pirates Booty is a puffed corn snack by the way, not an actual Pirate's bottom.

Once again, it is hard to be on this side of the pond, trying to revel in a three day holiday when the UK is whooping it up with yet another Jubilee hard on the heels of a bank holiday Monday. And they call Britain the workhorse of Europe.

Sheesh.

So what did you fill your time with this Memorial Day? Chez K we cleaned and scoured, painted and purged. We almost completed a long overdue spring clean. I have a balcony stuffed to the brim with garage sale items. I bleached and buffed the kitchen cabinets. I really, really wanted my car to get the same treatment but sadly our trusty car detailer has been deported. No bueno. I called around and got various quotes, inside only for $100 +. That coupled with the fact that I am literally too ashamed to take my goldfish and chocolate milk encrusted car to a garage meant that I spent a good chunk of my weekend cleaning my car with a toothbrush. It was like an archeological dig. Layers of matter, weeks of art projects, glitter, McDonalds happy meal toys, odd socks, half-eaten lunches, stickers, lollipop sticks. Bleurgh. I got it as clean as possible and now feel like banning the girls from stepping inside. Certainly no food. Art projects are questionable.

Despite all this Martha Stewarting - we had a brilliant Memorial Day weekend in the end. LK had a whopping two days off in a row - the weather was amazing, no May Grey in sight, and we were delighted to take our friends up on outdoor barbecues with live music, trips to the beach, and an afternoon at the pool.

It's not such a hard life out here after all is it?

Nasturtiums growing wild on the path down to the beach. 

4 comments:

Nimble said...

Mmm nasturtiums! I missed out on Memorial Day activities here. My 8 y.o. was supposed to do something with her Brownies troop but it was on Saturday and I expected it to be on Monday. But we had fun in the sun, went to a big pool with slides and a lazy river.

voyance gratuite mail said...

Thanks for share this information with us, I always come across this amazing post.

voyance gratuite par email said...

I’m not sure exactly why but this weblog is loading very slow for me. Is anyone else having this issue or is it a problem on my end? I’ll check back later on and see if the problem still exists.

voyance par mail gratuite said...

I appreciate, cause I found just what I was looking for. You’ve ended my four day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye