Friday, June 22, 2012

Here's How Thankful I Am


Do your kids write thank you letters? I know it's the bugbear of every child and every party, yet it is nice to acknowledge that that thoughtfully wrapped gift didn't just disappear in to the void. If my Aunty can get a gift to Anna from Switzerland, then we can get a thank you to her as well. At some point...

When Anna was little I used to transcribe emails from her, asking carefully staged questions like "Dear Aunty X, thank you for the Y, the thing I liked most about it was....."

It was always funny to see how she saw fit to fill in the blanks. Sometimes I edited. When you see what happened below, you'll know why...

Anna is now at the age where she can put pen to paper herself, and as long as we just do one thank you letter a day she doesn't get overwhelmed. She sits at the table, and I sit across on the couch and shout out requested spellings. The other day she had taken a break from writing her magnum opus "The Spooky Old Pickle" and she was writing a thank you note to her friend H.  There she is above, deep in concentration. H's Mum was kind enough to get Anna a gorgeous swimming costume and the first two books in a horse series - something obviously very dear to Anna's heart.

This is what she wrote:

Dear H. 


Thank you for the swim suit and horse books. I wear the swim suit to camp every day. I love the horse books and have read them both. Tell your Mom to go get me the other ones.


Love, Anna


You can lead a horse to water.......

Fortunately Robin is a good friend and has a good sense of humour, because hell yes I sent it.

7 comments:

Al said...

My daughter gave her friend a top and some footless tights for her birthday. The friend responded with the thank you note: "Thank you very much for the lovely top and tits". Made me laugh.

Daydream Living said...

Glad you stopped by, sorry that I have little time to get together better, will do more blogging in a month or so.
Oh, I love California! It's on my list of favourites places, although I have to say, being Dutch, the UK has pretty places too, but I hear you,
it isn't California... Good luck with the plans!
Maureen x

Michaela said...

This just made my day.

AliBlahBlah said...

Al - I wished they called they tights over here and not pantyhose, I'd be calling teaching me girls to spell them as 'tits' in a heartbeat!

Michaela - thanks :-) your comment made my day too.

horoscope said...

You made my day so fabulous.Thank you so much.

Unknown said...

Hello, I just discovered your blog while doing research on an engine, to find old graves of missing persons and celebrities. I will truly and sincerely on the blog because there are subjects that present themselves accessible to all generations. I believe in and respect for all and all,good luck

numéro surtaxé

Hanna Rosin said...

HOW I GOT MY EX HUSBAND BACK WITH THE HELP OF REAL AND EFFECTIVE SPELL FROM DR Osasu My name is Olivia Jayden, I never thought I will smile again, My husband left me with two kids for one year, All effort to bring him back failed I thought I'm not going to see him again not until I met a lady called Jesse who told me about a spell caster called Dr. Osasu , She gave me his email address and mobile number and I contacted him and he assured me that within 48hours my husband will come back to me, In less than 48hours my husband came back started begging for forgiveness saying it is the devils work, so I'm still surprise till now about this miracle,i couldn't conceive but as soon as the spell was cast,i became pregnant and gave birth to my third child,if you need any assistance from him you can contact him via:email: drosasu25@gmail.com Or WhatsApp or call him now:
+2347064365391 . Dr.Osasu also cures: 1. HIV / AIDS 2. HERPES 1/2 3. CANCER 4. ALS (Lou Gehrig’s disease) 5. Hepatitis B