Monday, January 21, 2008

Ramble On

I feel like I'm getting a cold because, what, it's been almost two weeks since my last brush with viral death so I'm clearly overdue. What the chuff immune system?

Now I realize that I'm lucky enough to be woken up most mornings by a crusty snot-covered toddler breathing heavily into my face or, double-trouble, licking my nose whilst meowing and pretending to be a cat but sheesh, where's my bug fighting stamina? I'm beginning to think that somewhere in my monogamous 10 year marriage I've managed to contract AIDS. Did I tell you that after my last dose of flu I had a raging yeast infection in my mouth? I really hope you're not reading this first thing in the morning, with a visual of little mushrooms growing on my tongue. Sorry. After much urgent 3am googling I discovered that's a sign of a depleted immune system, oh or AIDS. Despite appearance to the contrary I am still sane enough to figure out that I might just be a little stressed and run-down. Do you know how I know that? Because I'm hiding at work right now....

It's late and everyone's gone home and it is so deliciously, beautifully quiet. Just me and the hum of several dozing office machines. Aaahh. Off the clock obviously, but it is just so peaceful here that I'm finding it hard to leave. No-one to demand I wipe their bottoms, no-one asking me questions about construction loans or renters. I'm tempted to pull an all-nighter - all I'm missing is a large glass of wine.

It's too late now to pick up my dry-cleaning, which is a shame because my cold-weather winter wardrobe consists of 3 cashmere sweaters from Costco all of which are now locked away for the night at the dry cleaners. I have no idea what I'm going to wear tomorrow to keep warm - maybe my entire summer wardrobe all layered on top of each other? It is cold here - I heard that harumph New England, but really, it is verging on the chilly. I had to spend five minutes de-icing my windscreen this morning. You can trust that 4.5 minutes of that was spent locating the de-icing doohickey on my new car, but still. Actual ice, and all me woollens are being held prisoner.

Sniffle.

7 comments:

Amy said...

hope you feel better and warm up!

Eden Kennedy Onassis said...

I'm going to cautiously suggest that you'll be a lot healthier when Anna's old enough for kindergarten and beyond. Jackson's in 1st and we haven't had a major episode for a year-and-a-half (KNOCK EVERY AVAILABLE WOODEN SURFACE).

Also, I'm down here in Carp wearing two sweaters and three pairs of socks. AND sitting in front of the fireplace with a dog under each butt cheek. And my fingers are still freezing.

Expat mum said...

Greetings from the frozen tundra that is Chicago. I think the temp has now climbed back above zero Farenheit!
May I suggest lots of hand-washing for the immune deficiency. We have instigated a much higher level of cleanliness in our house (three kids) with some success. Having said that I have now thoroughly jinxed it and we'll all come down with something this weekend.

Anonymous said...

Ok snotbag....sorry to hear you are ill again.

Carry that Purell everywhere but do not Anna drink it. My kids use it the minute they are out of school, ski-ing in fact anywhere public as if one gets ill it goes through us all & then the viscious circle begins....I know I am paranoid!

Cold.....try living in sub zero conditions for 6 months of the year...just kidding

OH guess what more snow due today!!! Can you post some more photo's of the beach please?

Mary said...

Hope that you are feeling better :)
I hate when I forget to pick up my dry cleaning. I have an awful habit of saving it all up and dropping off one huge pile on a friday night expecting it to be ready by 4:00 on saturday. However I always manage to totally forget come saturday and then on monday morning I have nothing to wear!

Unknown said...

Personally, I think the answer is not washing hands, keeping clean and staying away from the bugs -- I think it is better to focus on building up the immune system with what we eat, vitamins, etc.... even yoga to de-stress and get more oxygen in the blood will help build up that immune system. A friend told me about this supplement called Ambrotose from mannatech.com -- she used to get sick all the time, and now she never does! I of course want to start taking it just so I don't get sick if I drink wine 2 nights in a row!

Unknown said...

An excellent congratulations for an excellent subject and an excellent blog !!!

voyance gratuite en ligne