Saturday, September 03, 2011

Hello, My Name Is....

Not really a reference to the fact that I've been away from the blog for a month, more a hint as to why.

I could claim some tenuous french heritage and say that the month of August was just a holiday (my Nanna was born in France after all), but really, do the French still take a month off in the summer? Is that a bit like Americans assuming I stop everything to have a cup of tea and a crustless sandwich at 4pm? Chance would be a fine thing.

No, in actuality the American summer holiday kicked my arse. It was ten long weeks of patching together childcare and balancing very welcome guests. Lucy was mostly in her preschool over the summer, but Anna was thrown to the wolves in what the Americans like to call 'summer camps'.

I have a personal theory that summer camps are a training ground for the American psyche. Each year the local papers comes out with the list of camps available in town for the summer (well over a hundred) and you pick and choose like ordering from a very eclectic menu. Anna could have done theatre, surf camp, Spanish camp, Mandarin camp, Mandolin camp (OK maybe that's a stretch), but of course she mostly did tennis and swimming because in our household that is free. These camps vary in cost and popularity - there is a definite pecking order and the good ones fill up fast. Savvy Moms organize their broods into the same camps as friends to help with pick-up and drop-off, and also to help with camp cold-turkey. This is what I think is a trial of fire in terms of character building. Every week a different camp, every week a different set of kids to meet, introduce yourself to, bond with. For a shy child it can be brutal. I am constantly amazed how Anna has changed from a timid and clingy two year old to a six year old prepared to march in to a room of strangers and just get on with things. I would still find that draining. Perhaps it crushes more delicate flowers, but it has definitely given Anna a teflon self-confidence that I hadn't seen coming.

She has some great camp stories; came back muddy and wet from 'Natural History Museum camp' where they searched for pollywogs (tadpoles) in the creek, studied hissing cockroaches and made dodgy scientific crafts that are now littering her bedroom floor.

The best quote was about tennis camp though. Anna, tired, streaky and pink with sunscreen and sunburn - eyes red with chlorine and hair matted with a dozen swimming pool dunks - sighed and said "Momma, I don't fall in love often - but when I do, it's only with very special boys. I've only fallen in love three times this whole summer!"

You can't teach that.

9 comments:

mcCutcheon said...

LMFAO! Anna is a gem!
seriously... kids talk like that? she sounds like straight out of Dawson's Creek LOL

thanks for making me laugh out loud again. missed your posts.

AliBlahBlah said...

Thanks for not giving up on me!

MsCaroline said...

Welcome back! So glad I have you in my Google Reader, or else I might have forgotten how much I enjoy your writing! Well do I remember the era of the summer camp (one of mine once attended a 'magic camp', even) and all the carpooling involved. Later on, you may even graduate to sleepaway camp, where the child goes away for a week or two, sleeps in a cabin in the woods, swims and sails and hikes and kayaks, and brings home huge amounts of dirty laundry. It also gives the parents a week or two of adult time, which is nothing to sneeze at.

Elsie Button said...

ooohh gorgeous! and the camps sound amazing!

Anonymous said...

Welcome back Ali

We've missed you.

Laura said...

So happy to get to read a post from you! Glad Anna did so well at camp, even if she did only fall in love three times! :):) I adore hearing stories about your girls.

Voyance gratuite immediate said...

Hello there, I found your website via Google while looking for a related topic, your web site came up, it looks great. I have bookmarked it in my google bookmarks.

Unknown said...

Thank you so much for this site and all information abounds. I find it very interesting and I recommend it to everyone!
Good luck to you.

voyance gratuite par mail

voyance mail gratuite said...

I appreciate, cause I found just what I was looking for. You’ve ended my four day long hunt! God Bless you man. Have a nice day. Bye