Friday, November 23, 2007

Don't Let Your Daughters Grow Up To Be Cal Girls

Today is 'Black Friday' - a bit of American 'kulcha' for you - Black Friday is the day after Thanksgiving when everyone wakes up from their triptophan haze and says 'fuck me, it's officially Christmas time, I must shop NOW'. Unless like me you woke up at a friendly 8:30am realizing you were already 3 1/2 hours too late for the JC Penney sale. WTF America? Who needs this so chuffing early, or quite honestly at all?

No, I did the next best thing and rolled over to ask my bleary-eyed toddler what she wanted for Christmas.

"Spongebob-underpants" was her reply - eyes glued to the telly. This of course prompted LK to say "I love lamp".

Not to be undone by her flagging attention span, I tried again.

"Anna, if you could have anything you wanted for Christmas, something you don't have perhaps, what would you like?"

Ha, this time there was a glimmer of recognition, of the enormity of the question, the potential ramifications. She thought long and hard, and came up with;

"A diamond"

Don't let your daughters grow up to be Cal girls.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

After my first date with T, he left the CD player loaded as he disappeared to the shower. The first track on the player was "Diamonds are a girl's best friend" by our beloved Marilyn. I can only offer some serious belated advice to your daughter regarding the relative value of a monthly income versus the expected carat of a particular diamond.

Please ask Anna to email me in no less than 20 years time.

Unknown said...

Are you serious? I can't believe she really said that... unless one of the billion commercials about diamonds had just played in between Spongebob Squarepants episodes. Just goes to show I was right - there is an obscenely large amount of diamond commercials this season...... it's a sick sad country we live in...... I weep for the yewf of today.

jenny said...

i think that's the greatest thing i ever heard. from spongebob underpants to a diamond. gotta love it. :)

i agree - black friday is for the birds, the early birds.

Sugarplum's Mom said...

Wow... what a leap. Next time, just buy the underpants ;)

I too stay as far away as I can from those 5 am sales. Every year people are on the news for getting crushed in the stampede to get into Wal-mart just to save $10

Anonymous said...

Really nice this site and in addition it is complete and simple in research. I thank you very much for these moments of relaxation.

voyance serieuse par mail