Friday, June 26, 2009

I Made My Bed

My oldest friend V. is getting married today. On Concord, which has to be one of the coolest things ever, unless you are her exceptionally tall husband-to-be who will not doubt spend the entire ceremony with knees bent and a slight stoop. Something he will be more than happy to do to marry V. I'm sure.

Once again I can't be there. We have been friends for over 30 years:











I haven't lost that constipated expression either - that's V. and I in the foreground. I'm the one making an albino look tanned.

It goes without saying that one of the most difficult things about living thousands of miles away from home is having to pick and choose what you go back for. I have missed weddings, funerals, and all-important Saturday morning shopping with my Mum. I suppose ideally I would be living the American Dream, earning enough money to jet back and forth as and when I choose. It hasn't quite panned out that way. I missed V's first wedding because of immigration issues. Now I'm missing this one because we are skint, - busy financing our money pit and two small, incredibly expensive children. As I said, I made my bed.

I can't complain too much, thanks to air-miles we are all flying back in a month for my cousin's wedding and for my parents 40th wedding anniversary. That'll be the last trip home for a while though unless I can persuade LK to part with a kidney. Still, V. came up with a genius plan. She had S. will renew their vows for their 10th anniversary, like we did, in Vegas, and we'll join them then. Please click on the ads on the right had side of this blog to make sure I can finance that trip. I figure $10 a year in ad revenue over the next 10 years could buy us a room off-strip somewhere!!

and finally, on a lighter note, I bring you:

Blue Steel:



5 comments:

Michelloui said...

Im sorry for you for your frustrating situation! I TOTALLY understand, in fact I have just mentioned this very thing in my most recent blog post. I hate it. And at first I used to think I was isolating myself from my family, but now I have realised that although I would love to be able to join my friends and family on important days, the most important thing is the consistent contact, the ongoing dialogues. Empathy! x

Unknown said...

We have friends who got married in Canada 2 years ago and I couldn't make it. I know it's so depressing ONLY being able to see the video later, knowing what a great time everybody had. But we were able to pay the mortgage that month AND feed the children, so it was a small success.

Ali said...

It is so hard missing moments, days in peoples lives like this. So many of us seem to be in this position, separated by vast distance from people we love.
Loved the blue steel by the way. She's talented.

Jane said...

I can sympathize. I've missed my sister's wedding, my BIL's wedding and the birth and Christening of my first niece. With High School age kids, we're just too broke to afford to go home. Not how I thought life would be.

Anonymous said...

You know what, use GSM blocker to disable all spy devices in your home or office.