Sunday, July 10, 2011

Princely Polo

The other day one of our elderly patients asked if I would be seeing the Royals come to the Polo Club. "It's the social event of the season" she added. She obviously hasn't heard of our 'build your own taco' nights.

California was all of a twitter about the Royal visit - although it was clearly a steep learning curve, with our local TV station announcing that the 'Dutch and Duchess of Cambridge' would be flying in.



We weren't about to be paying $400 for a ticket in the cheap seats just to see Prince William and Catherine. We considered $4,000 a ticket (lunch included) to be a little steep also, even if the lunch was to be catered by Giada de Laurentiis. However, we do have a lot of kind and generous friends, who happen to live right on the doorstep of the action.

The 'cheap seats' were on the left of the field, the VIP seats were on the right. One of our friends who had bought a ticket for the cheap seats commented that it was like 'The Old South' in terms of segregation - except with free-flowing champagne and canapés. I think she may need to re-visit that period of American history for another look.


That is Prince William in the #4 jersey balanced over my right shoulder. I am wearing clothes, honest - no-one wants to see this Momma streaking. In fact I'm sporting a very tasteful $30 H&M Maxi dress courtesy of my Mum, and some rather fetching gladiator sandals I got at a garage sale. Nothing but the best for Wills & Kate!

Stick with me, the photos get better.



I've watched a fair few polo games over the years, courtesy of LK's job. It's a pretty exhilarating sport. Having ponies thundering past chasing a rock-hard polo ball is quite an experience - and one I decided that a wandering 6 yr old and a rambunctious 2 yr old could probably defer. I didn't want to cause a diplomatic incident after all.




Prince William scored quite a few goals - as the other players seemed to magically part like the Red Sea whenever he approached the goal posts - or so it seemed to me. He was really chatty and smiley though - and responded with a grin and a wave at me bouncing around like a nut job waving my British flags....




Sadly we missed seeing much of Kate. Apparently she had been seen hanging out with Will and the ponies prior to the game, but at that point we were still hiking our way in to the polo grounds because we weren't allowed to drive in. Sadly we were too far away to see her presenting Will with the winner's trophy, but - just when we thought all was lost, they drove right by in a swanky black Audi on their way to the helicopter. The windows were all blacked out at the back of the car, but as they drove by, Kate rolled down her window and they both gave us a wave - Will is even leaning over to wave. That's a class act if you ask me, and my squeak of joy probably had dogs howling in San Francisco.





It was a great day.








11 comments:

Eden Kennedy Onassis said...

I'm so happy you had a good time! Your pictures are great. Jackson and I drove by yesterday and the traffic was terrible. Did you wear a giant hat?

Tom Raggett said...

Respect - pure class.

You'll have to bottle / trademark the "squeak" so that others can draw royal attention to themselves as well.

radmegan said...

Oh my god. Fantastic!!! I'm so excited for you and green with envy at the same time!! :)

aibee said...

OMG they're looking right at me! Ok, at you, but seriously, THEY'RE LOOKING RIGHT AT ME!

itsgrimupnorth said...

build your own taco night, that sounds amazing!

Anonymous said...

Would the squeal have been so loud if he had been called the Dutch of Oxford? Sx

Jane said...

Yay! I was so looking forward to reading about this. Your pictures are great. So glad you had a good time and got to see the Royals. Cambridge-born myself, so the Dutch of Cambridge works for me.

Julia said...

Aiiiieeeee.

I'm so glad that you had such a lovely time.

Kristin said...

I kind of can't believe how much I love the two of them right now. Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Elsie Button said...

fab photos!- sounds like fun - and you got a lot of waves! the other players parting like the red sea made me laugh

voyance gratuite en ligne said...

Thank you very much for this article as always very interesting.