Thursday, September 18, 2008

Daddy's Girl

As a parent you're not supposed to play favourites. On the whole I'm finding that easy, considering one's still in utero, kicking me in the bladder and causing me to pee when I laugh, sneeze, and move too quickly.

No-one tells a 3 year old they can't play favourites though, and I'm rapidly being demoted to parent #2.

This morning while HRH was sitting in the bath I told her that I would be watching her while Dad was in the shower, but that once he was done, I was off to work and he was going to be looking after her. I usually drop her off at school, but for once he had a late start and was on Anna-duty.

'Oh great' she said, more to her turtles than to me 'I knew a Dadda day would come up soon'.

To save on childcare, we have arranged our schedules so that I have Friday thru Sunday off and LK has Sundays and Mondays off, so Anna only has to go to school 3 days a week. I don't get to see LK that much, but after almost 15 years of being together, *shoulder shrug*.

Monday is LK's favourite day of the week, he takes Anna to the beach, to the swimming pool, to the Sea Center, the carousel, all over. On Fridays I take Anna to the supermarket, to my gym, and we do laundry. Hmm, I wonder why LK is winning parent of the year.

I realize my issue is not so much with Anna (although Jesus Christ beotch, I nursed you for chuffing months, throw me a frickin' bone here), it's with LK. It's getting the balance right. I am more interested in her having a presentable ponytail and outfit when she leaves the house. LK never adheres to a schedule and doesn't care when she turns up somewhere or how she looks. He's also far more creative than me. If I take Anna to the beach, we will look for shells, or more often these days, I will park my giant bulk on a towel and she will hunt for sea-life herself. When LK takes her, they pretend to fish for marlin and barracuda, they design elaborate assault courses and then race til exhaustion. Exhaustion seems to hit me a little earlier these days.

I know this is only going to get worse when the new little one arrives and I'll have to spend half my life nursing. I've decided to up the ante while I can. This weekend, I'm playing dirty. Anna and I are making cupcakes, going bug-hunting, watching Dora ad nauseum and going swimming. I will save the errands for LK for Monday. Then we'll see who's parent of the month.

Bwa-ha-ha.

6 comments:

Bluestreak said...

that sounds a little rough.

How come you don´t get any of the fun days?

Anonymous said...

This is a frequent discussion 'round our house . . . Mommy seems to get all the chores and day-to-day stuff shoveled on her plate while Daddy gets to be the fun parent. I know part of it is the fact that I am Grade A, Type I anal, and I am working on it, but part of it is the simple fact that as a stay-at-home-mom I am around them a lot more.

I hope you have a wonderful weekend with Miss A.!

Anonymous said...

Throw in some egg dyeing and hunting and you'll definitely win! Trust me, Chilly

Jane said...

You go girl! Call it a 'girl's day' and Anna will think it's even more special.

Summerland girl said...

I only wish I could go to the beach. I thought the term "beotch" was only used in Austin.

Unknown said...

I love this post! I read it to my parents and they loved it (of course I forgot that I am a bit of a Daddy's Girl too). I have heard that the first born, boy or girl, can often bond a lot more with the dad. And I wonder if this is nature's way of balancing things out since the dad doesn't really go through the hormonal attachment that women get to enjoy so thoroughly. ; )

Even though we don't have kids, I can relate! I always seem to have an endless list of things that 'have' to get done, and then I get jealous of my husband for having more 'chill-out' time or time to just play. So maybe give him a list of some of the things you normally have to take care of on your Anna days, and make him do them during his Anna days! And of course, I think kids learn how much their parents love them through everything you do, not just how you play with them.