Wednesday, September 24, 2008

If At First You Don't Make Sense....

Sorry for the vague Robert the Bruce comment. It appears not everyone was schooled in this 'stick-to-it-iveness' legend as I was growing up.

What I meant to convey was, I will be telling Anna that 'if at first you don't succeed try, try again'. How does this relate to Robert the Bruce? Well, as I understand it whilst fighting the dreaded Sassanachs (the English) he found himself holed up in a cave nursing his wounds and many defeats. Whilst glumly examining his options he watched a spider trying to build a web in the corner of the cave. It tried and failed seven times - mirroring his successive defeats to the English - but on the 8th time the spider was successful, which our Robert took to be *a sign*, and, so I have been told, the origin of the phrase 'if at first you don't succeed....'.

For a better explanation, including those of you who want to know who the chuff Robert the Bruce was in the first place, and why he is responsible for killing ExpatKat's ancestors (and, what he has to do with the credit crunch) read here, and here.

Interesting point from that first article '............Bruce was at the lowest point of his life. He thought about leaving the country and never coming back'. Funny how history repeats itself.

So there. I can't help thinking that if it had been Roberta the Bruce holed up in a drafty cave somewhere in the Borders she would have said 'right, well, let's make the best of things and tidy this place up, that web's going for a start', and the spider would have been history rather than legend.

And so endeth the sermon for today. Dying with Dignity tomorrow. I'm sure you can hardly wait....

3 comments:

Jane said...

Thanks for the explanation. Totally agree with your Roberta the Bruce theory.
Our ancesters were the Comyn clan. Bruce's murder of John Comyn put paid to our hopes of a royal future!

Unknown said...

Very interesting sermon, indeed!

I know enough about Robert the Bruce to fill a thimble. I do recall something about something from when I was in Stirling, Scotland. I do have several photos of the statues of Robert the Bruce. But I never knew he coined the idea "if at first you don't succeed.....".

I learn something new every day. Thank you for today's lesson.

voyance gratuite en ligne said...

Your blog is really great, I come over every day and each time I find something that suits me