Wednesday, December 27, 2006

Bah Humbug 1 - Christmas Spirit 1

OK, so it wasn't all bad, and maybe I was a tad moany (and hungover) at 4am on Christmas morning.

Thanks to some good friends, excellent mimosas with eggs benedict, and yet another bike ride, Christmas wasn't a complete washout. It felt a little more special than a run-of-the-mill weekend, but it didn't feel like Christmas either.

Anna provided some excellent entertainment by really getting in to ripping open her presents. Her top picks were a Fisher Price Amazing Animals train and an old-fashioned jewelry box with a fairy that pirouetted when it opened. I had no idea they still made things like that. Our fave present for her had to be this wonderful book by Werner Holzwarth and Wolf Erlbruch The Story of the Little Mole Who Knew It Was None of His Business which is absolutely hilarious. I want to buy it for all my friends.

LK got me an Ali G DVD and an Oasis boxed set, which together made me feel a little less like a prematurely middle-aged vanilla hausfrau. Well less of a prematurely middle-aged vanilla hausfrau than I actually am. He did after all also buy me some slippers. Fluffy slippers.

I have a sneaking suspicion that we will also be spending next Christmas in sunny old California, as we're flying to Blighty in May, but I'm going to do my upmost to persuade my family to come out here this time. And you know what? A bizarre sunny Christmas with dolphins and inflatable snowmen wilting on yellowed parched lawns - I'm sure they'll chuffing love it.

No comments: