Wednesday, February 07, 2007

Not So Mellow Lellow

Just to prove it's neither nature nor nurture, Anna is turning in to a positive wunderkind and is having what I believe is called a 'language explosion'. One of her favourite pastimes at present is to read license plates, and she's pretty good at it too, except whenever she sees the letter 'A' she says 'Anna'. Stupid girl.

She's also having a stab at colours, except she describes everything as being 'lellow'. We don't know what's going on here. Yellow has got to be one of the hardest colours for a baby to pronounce, being as how it's packed with 'l's, yet it's the one she's got down to a science. What about red or blue? Surely those are easier to say? Aquamarine isn't that much more of a stretch. Yet if I ask her if she wants to put her pyjamas on she says 'lellow?', and she always points out sunflowers, tennis balls (of which there are many in our household) and squash and then says 'lellow'. Cleary a genius right? We could certainly have people fooled, but unfortunately she describes everything that is colourful as 'lellow.

A tomato? Lellow.

Her tasteful lime green clogs? Lellow.













I've been trying to work out what her fascination is. She also says 'purple' and I suppose she is managing to channel some of her Dad's Laker's fervour by opting for those two colours. I had a different thought though. I mentioned to LK that I been thinking about it, and I'd come to the conclusion that yellow must be her favourite colour because she has a really cheery disposition and is like sunshine to me. At which point he went 'urrghhh' whilst rolling his eyes like he'd just been hit by a particularly bad waft of patchouli. Maybe not then.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

My son had an issue with this. We finally solved it by making him sing "Helplessly Hoping" by Crosby, Stills & Nash over and over again. There's nothing like "yove isn't yying it's yoose in a yady who yinger's saying she is yost" to get them over the "L" thing.

AliBlahBlah said...

Too funny. I'm yaughing my yass off..

Chilly said...

he still yoves that song, and it was a hell of a yot cheaper than speech therapy.

Julia said...

Thank you very much for this site and all the information it contains. I find it very interesting and I recommend it to everyone!
All the best. Friendly

voyance gratuite en ligne