Monday, August 11, 2008

Tempting Fate

Well, we didn't quite get what we were hoping for with the ultrasound.

It's a girl, which makes me very happy.

Unfortunately there were issues present which resulted in me having an amnio this morning. We discovered the baby had a two vessel cord, or single umbilical artery. A link not for the faint of heart I might add.

My blood test results were fantastic, apparently I screen as if I'm a 19 year old woman (a fact that caused a raised eyebrow from LK I can assure you). The other potential markers for abnormalities were good. Baby K looked like a perfect little foetus, all except for that umbilical cord. An amnio was given as an option, but not pushed on us. The doctor and staff were lovely. It was an incredibly hard decision to make, but I knew that I would not be able to stand the uncertainty of the next few months, and LK with a wry smile admitted he would not be able to live with me if I did not know.

The procedure itself was *holy fucking shit* painful. It's not supposed to be that bad unless you are gripped with contractions, and I won the lottery on that one too.

I have so many conflicting emotions right now. I am uncomfortably numb. Obviously there is nothing to do but keep our fingers crossed. Much, much worse things have happened to far nicer people.

I was in half a mind whether to write this, but I will tempt fate and put it out there for the record, hoping that in 6 months time someone else will google this and will come away reassured that we were one case where everything turned out fine.

Or maybe our story will provide support for people that are faced with having to make an unthinkable decision.

I can't tell you hard this is to write when Anna is bouncing next to me explaining how we 'get our babies out by jumping super high and then pooping them out'.

11 comments:

Amanda said...

Oh sweetie, I'm from your pregnancy board (I can't remember which...either mdc or ivillage as I read both). I just wanted to post and say I do think it's great that you put this out there for the interwebs in case someone does want to read your story. Relax with your recovery today. And don't jump too high and poop at the same time for a few more months. :-)

american mum said...

I'm so sorry. I'll be praying for a very positive outcome!

And yay for little girls. I love them.:)

mama speak said...

I'm so sorry you're dealing w/this right now, but if it makes you feel any better I had similar issues (not umbilical cord; amnio) and we did the amnio for the same reasons (no being able to live w/not knowing for sure). Everything was fine in our case, I'm sure you will be too. (I've heard of your situation before, if the baby is measuring ok already it's most likely everything is fine. Just don't ask Dr. Goggle, he always gives you worst case senario and you don't need that w/your hormones and all.)

I'll say a little prayer for you tonight and you just rest and focus on the baby you already have; they're really good at distraction. That and no jumping while pooping, okay?

mcCutcheon said...

I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you guys.

Amy said...

I just want you to know that I am thinking and praying for you.

Anonymous said...

I know in my heart that everything is going to be ok, but I'll still say lots of prayers. Get lots of rest and let LK wait on you hand & foot (for the next six months. Love Fluffy

ExpatKat said...

Thinking of you all. So excited for you that it's a girl.

Praying for the amnio issue. My sis-in-law had one done and was told there was a 20% chance that her baby had Downs Syndrome. She chose to focus on the 80% chance of a healthy child. Her perfect son celebrates his 9th birthday this month!

mmennen said...

We are sending lots of LOVE and positive thoughts to you and the baby! Let us know if there is anything at all we can do to distract you and make the next 10 days more bearable and relaxing. And of course my mother's recommendation would be to let out the tears, they are healing for the body and soul. I am sure you and baby will come out stronger.

Fishsticks and Fireflies said...

Congratulations on another little girl!

Good God that link is scary! I will be thinking of you and your little one and hope that everything turns out just fine.

And poor Anna may be in for a bit of a shock come her childbearing years . . . if only babies came out that way.

Daffodilly said...

Thank heavens for little girls!

I have every faith that it will all be fine as the amnio's are not always 100% correct.

Everything is crossed for you!

Good luck!

Hyphen Mama said...

So Anna was right that it's a girl.
Now ask her what her baby sister wants for her first birthday.... because there will be a need.

Perfect healthy baby girl. She'll be yours.

2 little girlies. How fun is that!?