Sunday, November 07, 2010

Megalopolis

Los Angeles to San Diego is a megalopolis, home to 22 million people. For two and a half hours you drive through non-stop urban sprawl, stucco, outlets, and six lanes of traffic. Every five minutes you drive past a McDonalds and a Starbucks, every ten minutes a Target, and every thirty minutes an Ikea. The scenery could be on continuous repeat, like the background in a Tom and Jerry cartoon, but you'd never know. Unless you get stuck in traffic, and then you get to sit outside that Discount Sofa World for fifteen minutes, and really get a chance to consider its uniqueness.

I have a new weapon in my co-pilot arsenal though. www.sigalert.com. If you live and drive in Southern California you should definitely get to know it. It gives an instant colour-coded snapshot of the freeway traffic through LA, Orange County, San Diego. Instant flagged alerts of accidents, and visual confirmation of free-flowing alternate routes. Genius.

And that's all I have to say on our 3 hour drive back from Legoland. Well, that and this photo of Anna "I was not napping, I am 5, I do not nap" K.

























Back to non-HTML posting tomorrow. Thank God!

Updated to add: we just drove past Anna's best friend, in six lanes of traffic, 120 miles from home. Apparently they recognized us by the British flag on the back of our car. I think the universe knows I'm posting about So Cal faceless anonymity and just gave me a giant cosmic 'you don't know nothing, beotch'.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I was born in LA about a hundred years ago, and visited my paternal family during the 60's and 70's. It was kind of heavenly the with mounds of fresh fruit, the amazing ocean and lots of fascinating experiences. I still get a pang when I hear some of the names where my family lived - West Covina, Pasadena, Huntington Beach. Now I love the Olympic Peninsula and Strait of Juan de Fuca. I think I was lucky to experience California when it was so fresh and everything seemed possible.

Anonymous said...

Ooops,sorry. I meant to leave my name. Forgot I was anonymous.

Gillian.

voyante said...

Nice to know that there are doing that to our food. I guess anything you eat the skin, buy organic or pesticide free, anything you peel than it is not necessary.